Thursday, March 7, 2013

Cloth Diapers

With my firstborn, I wanted to do cloth diapers but didn't have much support.  I purchased a few things - some covers in various sizes, a few contours, some pockets, and a couple all-in-ones, but didn't have enough to really use them full-time or even part-time. 

I checked with my sitter earlier in this pregnancy to see how she felt about cloth diapers, and she actually has two babies in cloth right now, so she was open.  Hooray!  And with a few more years of sewing experience under my belt, I feel much better about trying to sew some to use in combination with my small stash of purchased diapers.  I feel like I have better support this time around as well and am more comfortable dealing with naysayers. 

It's not so much that I want to be environmentally friendly as that I am cheap.  I think so far I've spent about $200 on my materials for cloth diapers (not including the tons of fabric I have in my stash that I bought back for the firstborn and never used for anything) and have made 22 diapers so far and still have tons of materials left for lots  more.  At roughly $30 a box and about a box a month for disposables, I'll break even before the baby hits a year old.  And our firstborn didn't potty train until 2.5 years old.  Plus, they are easy to make and so stinking cute!!!

Here's my first - using the Very Baby Fitted pattern (again, phone pics - pregnant lady is lazy). 
I have done mostly Very Baby's with some Cloth Revolutions in there to try something different.  So far I have made newborn sized diapers - my purchased pockets are all adjustable one-size but probably won't fit for a bit since this baby is supposed to be on the small side (bigger than his 4lb 7.5oz brother, but not 8lbs either).  I will get the NB sized diapers made, figure out which ones/fabrics work the best on baby, and then start on some one-size diapers to round out the stash for when baby is bigger. 

So far I have made: 15 pockets, 2 covers, and 5 fitteds, with three fitteds in the works and about 11 more fitteds planned.  The worst part is the cutting out - the sewing goes together fast!  My favorite thing is adding the elastic to the fitteds - I love the way the 3-step zigzag stitch ruffles the fabric!

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Baby's Quilt

Here are some progress pictures from Baby #2's quilt.  It's actually finished now, but I haven't gotten to take any beauty shots yet.  It was really quick to piece - I was a bit of a maniac. 

The pattern is Scrappy Stars by Carrie Nelson and was featured in the June 2006 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting (and yes, I've had the issue and the quilt on my list all this time). 

 Only picture of the completed quilt so far, and it doesn't show much.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...