Saturday, January 12, 2013

Sam's "Big Boy" Quilt

Since he is going to be a big brother and is getting a new room and twin bed, I figured his 36"x42" baby quilt wasn't going to cut it anymore.  So I made my sweet boy a "big boy" quilt.  The plaids are almost all from deconstructed thrift store shirts, a la Bonnie Hunter.  There are two small pieces that I bought to finish out those last few squares. 
The blocks are 6"x6" and 6"x9" finished, laid out alternating.  I originally was just going to outline quilt each one, but it wasn't enough, so I added more, and then more until it felt right.  The quilting is not perfect, and the basting wasn't either.  The backing fabric has a homespun feel to it and stretched some, so there are a couple spots where it bunched when I was quilting.  (Boo!)  But it is done, and I figure being my son I'll have another chance to make him a quilt. 

I do love the backing and especially the binding fabrics - I found them at my local quilt shop.  I took the top in and played with several fabrics against it.  I always end up finding the perfect combos there, and they are always the most unexpected. 
The quilt finishes at about 75"x96" - definitely big enough for his new twin bed.

2 comments:

  1. I love the fabric! Fantastic Quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...love it as well. Were the shirts flannel or just button down material?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...