Sunday, July 6, 2014

DIY Anthropologie Pattern Pop Top

This spring and summer I've gotten very into ideas for sewing clothing.  It's something I've always wanted to do but was scared of.  My body, especially after two babies, doesn't fit the standard measurements as it did back in high school days.  Knowing alterations were needed made me nervous.  But I've been reading tons of blogs and tutorials on measuring patterns, altering patterns, and researching patterns from "indie" designers that fit real women's bodies, and I've found courage. 
First up, a hack/DIY of Anthropologie's Pattern Pop Tee.  I saw this t-shirt refashion on Merrick's Art and loved it.  Seemed simple enough, but I had in mind a certain fabric.  I bought the Amy Butler voile online and dug through my stash to find a remnant of plum knit, very slinky and stretchy.  Luckily, they worked perfectly.  Fabric, check.

For a pattern, I figured I'd play with one of my many unused patterns - Simplicity 1463.  It had similar lines along the back, a little roomier in front (my belly thanks me), but I didn't have enough fabric for the butterfly sleeves.    

I took a t-shirt that fit well and used it as a size gauge against the pattern tissue which meant I made a smaller size than I would have otherwise.  Then I drafted some short sleeves that would work with my fabric remnant,made the hem more of a high-low shape, and went to town (sewing, not literally).

The shirt itself wasn't hard, but there were some puckers and odd shaping where the sleeves went in (obviously because I've never drafted sleeves before).  Something about my bust and that chest area just looked odd.  I had to rip that part out (major, major pain) and redo.  
The good news - it fits, and my sister and mother thought I bought it.  So I say success!  Probably the best garment I've tried to make for myself. 
The photo shoot, that was a whole other story.  I was aiming for the "golden hour" but my husband needed me to get supplies to fix a water tank, and by the time that was done the sun was setting and my pictures were dark.  Not to mention my husband making fun of me as I tried to take (somewhat) flattering pictures of myself with the remote.  But at least there were a few that weren't awful.  We'll aim for improvement next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...