Thursday, November 22, 2012

A new quilt

It's Thanksgiving morning at 7am, and I am enjoying a little sewing time.  My hubby and brother are out hunting, Sam is still asleep, and I am working on Sam's "big boy" quilt.  It's inspired by this one from Pottery Barn Kids:

I am a big fan of Bonnie Hunter and her thrifty quilting ways, so I took an idea from her and scoured the thrift stores of 100% cotton plaid shirts in reds, oranges, and browns.  My pattern isn't quite as random as the PB bedding; I just alternated 6" squares with 6x9" rectangles.  I'm making a twin size, so I have 16 rows in my quilt.  As of this morning, I am a quarter done with the top:
Those are rows, but they only fit on the design wall vertically.  I was nervous laying it out and when I began sewing, but I think it'll turn out alright.  If I had it to do over again, I think I would leave out the lighter blocks and have it just be the more saturated prints.  At this point, I'm soldiering on and trying to knock it out, because I have a baby quilt, burp cloths, cloth diapers, and all kinds of other sewing and home projects I want to get done in the next couple months. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...