Sunday, August 15, 2010

New Project - Clamshells

I have decided on a new quilting project (because I don’t already have like 26 on the list).  I want to make a clamshell quilt.  It will be all hand-pieced, which will be good for trips.  I was really inspired by Brown Dirt Cottage’s blog, and she had a picture and the name of the book she was inspired by, so I found it on Amazon for $0.48 plus shipping (used, but in very good condition).  I needed to get the replacement charger for our camera anyways, so I added the book, and then found a mini cutting mat and ruler set for $8.55 that would be great for working in the car, at work, etc.  So we have three little packages coming our way.  

After some serious internal debate, I have decided to dig into my Christmas fabrics and work from stash.  I can always add some new if I need to, but we'll start with these and see how many clamshells we get.  It looks like any new fabric will need to be green . . .
Obviously, it’s going to take some time to make a throw-sized quilt, but it’ll be a good hand project, just grab-n-go (something I am always struggling to find right before we leave for a trip). 
 
I got a sheet of Mylar template plastic, so when my book gets here, I can copy the clamshell template and get started.  I looked at appliqué pins and straw needles, but I didn’t like the ones at JoAnn’s, so I’ll have to head online or go to Sew Biz again.  I should have everything in time to start on our trip back home the end of the month. 
 
I guess I need to check my smaller rotary cutter to see if it is small enough (I think it is) and get a new blade or get a mini cutter.  I am so excited to get my little kit and get started.  Although the clamshell quilt will be slow progress mainly for trips or hand sewing while watching TV, the mini cutting kit can be used for many projects, including marking FGF squares at lunch or while watching TV.

So dear readers, wish me luck as I join the Clamshell Club!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...