Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Quilting the Farmer's Wife

OMG I'm actually quilting my Farmer's Wife quilt!  I can't believe it!  When I finished the top, I knew it needed special quilting.  I mean, I spent 11 months piecing it - it's kind of a big deal.

I knew I couldn't do it justice, so I was waiting to take it to a long arm quilter.  I just kept holding back - I knew to get it quilted the way I wanted it would cost a lot, and after all that piecing I just couldtn't do an all over pattern on it.

Now that I have my Juki, I feel better able to handle the bulk of a queen/king sized quilt.  It would not have worked on my old Viking.  I spent a lot of time looking at gorgeous quilting, doodling, and marking the quilt top.

Look at the first block!  I quilted that!  It's probably not that complex to some people, but it's the most detailed work I've done.
I pre-wound 10 bobbins before I started quilting.  I went through one in four blocks.  This quilt is going to take a lot of thread. Gracious.

I'm just concentrating on making each block good.  I can't worry about how big the quilt is or I'll flake out for another year. 

Six done today . . . 115 to go!

Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!


  1. Wow, that's some project.Just think of the satisfaction youll have when it's finished, all made by yourself! Looks lovely!

  2. I think you've got the right way to approach this quilting. Making each block look its best is going to be tremendously satisfying.

  3. It looks great! I would want to do the whole thing myself too, so good for you. Taking it one block at a time is smart too.

  4. It looks soo good!!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...