Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Quilting the Farmer's Wife

OMG I'm actually quilting my Farmer's Wife quilt!  I can't believe it!  When I finished the top, I knew it needed special quilting.  I mean, I spent 11 months piecing it - it's kind of a big deal.

I knew I couldn't do it justice, so I was waiting to take it to a long arm quilter.  I just kept holding back - I knew to get it quilted the way I wanted it would cost a lot, and after all that piecing I just couldtn't do an all over pattern on it.

Now that I have my Juki, I feel better able to handle the bulk of a queen/king sized quilt.  It would not have worked on my old Viking.  I spent a lot of time looking at gorgeous quilting, doodling, and marking the quilt top.

Look at the first block!  I quilted that!  It's probably not that complex to some people, but it's the most detailed work I've done.
I pre-wound 10 bobbins before I started quilting.  I went through one in four blocks.  This quilt is going to take a lot of thread. Gracious.

I'm just concentrating on making each block good.  I can't worry about how big the quilt is or I'll flake out for another year. 

Six done today . . . 115 to go!

Linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!



4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's some project.Just think of the satisfaction youll have when it's finished, all made by yourself! Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've got the right way to approach this quilting. Making each block look its best is going to be tremendously satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I would want to do the whole thing myself too, so good for you. Taking it one block at a time is smart too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks soo good!!

    A
    therowdyroberts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...