Monday, February 1, 2010

Sunday's Progress

Yesterday I had a blast piecing the Baby Beahr quilt. Of course, the quilt is pink and brown with flowers and butterflies, but Baby Beahr is its name. I got about half of it pieced, and that was with numerous interruptions. It’s so simple, just as its inspiration’s name implies.

1) Piece alternate squares and rectangles.

2) Join to sashing strip.

3) Join to previous row.

4) Repeat until center of quilt top is pieced!

I love it already. I can’t wait to get the whole top done and make my quilt sandwich so I can quilt it. I’m thinking a butterfly in each square (or alternating butterflies and flowers), and just some wavy or loopy quilting on the sashing strips. And butterflies on the border? Of course, this means I have to practice butterflies and flowers . . . which means I need a stencil . . . which means . . . a trip to the local quilt shop!

I need to copy the one sleep sack that still fits the baby and make him another one, but this quilt has got me captive. I also need to make myself some work skirts, but that’s for later as well. I’m going to try and go to one Sew Biz in Radford after work Thursday. I haven’t been there in a while. And Saturday, I’m hoping to go to Schoolhouse Fabrics in Floyd (barring more snow). I’ve lived here for how many years now and have never been in there. Three floors of fabrics? Yes, please. :) Even better if the in-laws want to watch the baby and I can go by myself. :) :)

I really need to order the fabric for another friends’ baby quilt. That one will be more involved, but I have the greatest design for it. I’ve got to solidify my design and yardages so I can get that ordered. That one isn’t due until May, so I have some time, but it’s still better to plan ahead so I don’t have to rush. I’ll have to design my own quilting templates for that one and practice them. More details once I begin . . .

And of course, I still have the quilt for our bedroom (my first attempt at quilting that I’m still working on) and the designed-but-not-yet-made guest room quilt to do. Plus all my other sewing projects (burp cloths, baby clothes, Barbie clothes, etc.). I made a list, but it grows by the day, and I tend to go off on tangents. Like last night when I went to bed late because I spent an hour designing quilts for a certain fabric I have (and I still haven’t decided what to do with it).


1 comment:

  1. Dear Rachel,

    Alana and I like to look at your blog and are jealous of your skills.

    That being said, I asked for a sewing machine for my Birthday which I'm sure will be nothing compared to yours. And I'll be pleased with myself if I can just sew a strait line. I have a feeling, I'll continue to be jelaous of your sewing skills forever probably :)

    Love you!!

    -D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...