Monday, March 1, 2010

Another "to-do"

I went looking for storage bins for my fabric closet today. I had an idea of what I wanted, until I was looking and started thinking (you know what happens when I start thinking . . .). I went back and forth and hemmed and hawed and finally came home empty handed. I decided I need to pull everything out of the closet and sort and organize so I know exactly what I have. And I need to measure my closet, so I know what will fit. Only then will I know what kind of storage I need, and what will work. In a perfect world, I would have those lovely Cubeicals, or some variation thereof, where I could stack my fabric so I could always see it (in my dedicated sewing room of course). I would prefer a pretty basket or tote container with a handle so I can hang cute tags from the handles as labels. I love plastic storage, but I also hate it, especially with my fabric. But it’s not a perfect world, and so I have to figure out how to make the most of what I have. My dear husband was trying to get me to box up my fabric and put it in the attic because I “just go buy new fabric when you make something and never use what you have,” or some such nonsense. I think I just don’t have enough space. Pillow forms and batting take up lots of space! But I get his point – my sewing paraphernalia is taking over the entire guest room - closet, bed, dresser, and vanity. Even the computer, if you count my EQ6 software. Not to mention the kitchen, where I actually sew, and the living room, where I cut and press/iron. So I guess I need to bite the bullet and organize. I’ve tried before, honest, but I think now I understand how I need to sort things – by:

  • Scraps (cut into various strips, rectangles, random triangles, and squares)
  • Fat Quarters
  • Half Yards
  • Yards
  • Larger Yardage

And then by:

  • Apparel fabric for me
  • Apparel fabric for kids
  • Quilting Fabric by color
  • Holiday Fabric by holiday

And I also now know how to fold my fabric for better storage, which will help.

To be honest, I think I’m scared to find out exactly how much fabric I have.

I guess the sort will begin after I finish this baby quilt, since it has a deadline. Dare I take “before” and “after” pictures?

2 comments:

  1. Definitely take before and after! lol I have recently started picking up some more things for my craft area because I realize I need more organization and storage than I have. Do you have room under the guest bed? Because I have quilt batting and that kind of thing in those big flat roller tub things and I can just shove them under the bed. Just a thought. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No room under the guest bed, that's where I hide all my wrapping paper (I have a bit of an addiction to that as well) and gift wrapping stuff (bags, tissue paper), along with a leaf for our kitchen table. I think I'll have more room in the closet once I get things organized better.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...