Tuesday, March 16, 2010

An Old Surprise

This weekend when we were traveling to visit my husband's family, we stopped to feed the little one and say hi to my family.  I told my grandma that I’d have to show her pictures of the quilts I’ve made, and she said to wait a minute, she had a bunch of old quilt patterns and maybe I’d like them.  I know she crochets a lot, but I had no idea she would have ever quilted anything.  So I ended up with this manila envelope full of patterns torn from old magazines.
 I went through it on the second half of our trip, not expecting to find much of interest (my grandma has some “interesting” taste), but to my surprise, there were actually some good patterns in there!  Quite a few were appliqué (not really my thing), but there were several patchwork patterns that I liked.  I think there are enough to mix and match into a sampler-type quilt.  Here are some of my favorites:
And then, after going through all the pages (and reading some of the other articles included on the pattern pages), I found these at the bottom of the envelope.
They’re not exactly what I’d call beautiful, but they are special since my grandma made them, and I feel like I need to do something with them. 

There was also this unfinished butterfly block.  I think I like the red accent better than the green, but I hate the tan body.  I feel like I should finish this up and maybe find some coordinating material and use the green accent pieces to complete a companion block.  But again, not sure what to do with them after that.
I was thinking of taking the appliqué patterns and others I don’t like and putting them up for sale on Etsy.  What do you think?  If I’m not going to use them, I hate to throw them away if someone else might like them.

Any ideas of what to do with these blocks?

1 comment:

  1. What a treasure! I love old patterns like that -- the way they're kind of brief and cryptic and let you figure things out for yourself and don't spell out every little detail in pages and pages of photos and description. Not that I ever actually *read* those pages and pages...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...